6.29.2012

The downside of being flexible

I've always been really flexible.  And I mean REALLY flexible.  Even at times in my life when I haven't exercised and/or stretched much, I've always been able to do the splits all three ways.  I didn't exercise at all whilst pregnant because it made me throw up, yet now that I'm finally working out again after a year, it's as if I'd been stretching all along.  It's kind of weird...I'm like Gumby or something.

Seemingly unrelated, my big toes curl upward.  It's also really weird.  When wearing flip flops, my big toes have a shadow of their own because they curl up.  I always assumed this was because I wore too small of shoes at some point in my life.  However, I recently went to the podiatrist because it felt like I was getting an ingrown toenail.  I was surprised when the first question he asked upon seeing my feet was "are you really flexible?"

Apparently some people just have really flexible joints. I'm one of those people and my toe joints are no exception!  As such, they bend up AND down whereas most people's big toes just bend down.  Since my toes point up they constantly touch the top of my shoes which puts pressure on my toenails which forces the toenails to become ingrown...and there you have it...the downside of being flexible!  The doc said to expect lots of ingrown toenails in the future given the flexibility of my big toes.

Needless to say, it was a very strange doctors visit. Didn't help that the doctor himself was really awkward.

Not a great pic...but you get the idea

Will Sophia have the same fate?


I tried to put her hair in a ponytail...didn't work that well

Not quite enough hair yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment