11.14.2010

The Seattle Symphony

On Friday night Jeff and I went to the Seattle Symphony for the first time.  We've seen lots of performances in this city, but we still hadn't made it to the symphony. So when a Groupon came out for tickets to a performance of your choice we jumped on it!

They played two pieces - Prokofiev's Symphony No. 3, which I found to be a little too intense for my taste, and Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1, which was fantastic.  I love Tchaikovsky, but this number is particularly beautiful to me.  It's one of those pieces that everyone loves - proven by it's popularity since it was first written in 1874.  Isn't it wonderful to know that the so many different people from all walks of life and various time periods can be united in at least one thing - good music!

The pianist for the piano concerto was Stephen Hough - he was pretty incredible too!  Half of the time you couldn't even see his hands - they were just a blur as they raced across the keyboard.  I can't even imagine being that talented!

We really enjoyed the performance.  Afterwards Jeff announced that he prefers the symphony to the ballet.  I suppose we'll have to take a break from the ballet for a while and focus on other musical expressions.  Gratefully Seattle is full of wonderful music!  

1 comment:

  1. I loved going to that symphony - such a great place to live if you love the arts. Glad you liked it too!

    ReplyDelete