11.01.2010

Happy Halloween!!!

We went for cute rather than scary this year!
I loved Halloween growing up!  It was one of my more favorite holidays (just behind Christmas and my birthday).  Of course in Nevada, it's more than just a day for dressing up and eating candy - we also celebrate Nevada Day!  October 31st is the day Nevada became an official state and, thus, we never had school on Halloween.  Talk about a sweet treat!  Imagine my disappointment on my first Halloween at Utah State when I realized Nevada was the only state where you didn't go to school on October 31st.  This holiday has never been quite as exciting since then.  In fact, in now ranks pretty low on the totem pole.  But, as everyone who truly knows me knows, I love any reason to celebrate!  So each year we carve pumpkins, light luminaries, hand out candy, dress up in costume...the whole nine yards!

Merry Christmas! Like the presents taped to my feet?
Last year Jeff and I dressed up as a Tootsie Roll and a Tootsie Pop.  We won the costume contest a friend's Halloween party and at the church Halloween party.  This year we dressed up as a Christmas tree - I was the tree and Jeff was my lights.  We got lots of compliments, but won no contests.  Jeff's absolutely positive that if we'd been on time to the Halloween party more people would have had a chance to vote for us and we would have won!  Since the costume contest was really for the kids, I don't think it would have made a difference.  Either way, it was a cute costume.

Yes, that's our real tree skirt!







As a kid, I never got to go Trick-or-Treating when Halloween fell on a Sunday.  For some reason dressing up like ghouls and goblins and wandering the neighborhood asking for candy didn't seem a very good way to "keep the Sabbath Day holy". Since Halloween fell on a Sunday this year, I figured that most of the kids from church wouldn't be Trick-or-Treating.  So Jeff and I, made some treats for the primary kids and went "Reverse Trick-or-Treating" this year...we knocked on their doors and handed the goody bags to them.  It was a lot of fun, and many of the kids seemed excited to have a visitor.  One cute kid, Rune, even gave us a piece of candy in return - it was pretty cute!


Last year's award winning costumes


    

3 comments:

  1. LOVE the reverse trick-or-treating idea! Here in Utah, everyone just went out on Saturday. We didn't do much trick-or-treating, though. Hyrum has been a little sick this week and it was raining, so I didn't want to take him out. Plus, he'll never know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember how disappointed you were that first year when you didn't automatically get Halloween off. Good to see you're still enjoying dressing up though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea to go to the Primary kids. I'll bet they will never forget you for that. What a sweet thing to do. I loved your costumes both this year and last. I bet that was Jeffrey's idea of being the lights, so he could hug you all night. Pretty romantic.

    ReplyDelete