1.25.2012

And so it begins - or rather, ends

WARNING: THIS POST IS GRAPHIC...READ AT YOU OWN RISK!

We experienced the beginning of the end of my pregnancy this weekend with a trip to the hospital!  Don't ask why I put an exclamation mark...it wasn't a good trip.  There we were Saturday night just watching a movie.  I was sitting in a black chair (luckily not our tan couch) while Jeff gave me a back massage.  Suddenly I felt like I was peeing my pants and couldn't stop it so, naturally, I got up to go to the bathroom.  Much to my surprise, it was not pee but rather blood that was gushing out...never a good sign, pregnant or not!  Hence, our trip to the hospital.

Once at the hospital, the nurses and doctors ran umpteen tests to see what was going on.  I was hooked up to all the baby monitoring machines as well.  We got to the hospital at 11pm and finally got into a room where we could "sleep" at 3:30am.  Not much sleep followed, but at least we had some more space and privacy.  One ultrasound, 1 IV, 6 needle pricks, 11 hours of no eating or sleeping, and 12 hours of continuous fetal monitoring later we were released from the hospital.  Diagnosis...uncertain.  The best guess is there was a slight detachment of the placenta from the uterine wall which caused the bleeding.  But since I was fine and the baby was fine and labor hadn't started, they sent us home.

I think what really happened is that my body realized that January had been an easy month in comparison to the rest of my pregnancy and it felt the need to throw another curveball at me just to remind me how horrible it is to be pregnant!

Here's hoping the next trip to the hospital starts with contractions instead of large quantities of blood!

1 comment:

  1. Holy crap! I can't believe the ups and downs of your pregnancy! I'm so sorry. I'm sure you don't want to think about having another one, but hopefully the next one will be better. What am I saying--I hope your delivery goes fine! I'm thinking about you and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete