5.15.2012

Roasted root vegetable quinoa salad

I recently read a blog post on Our Best Bites that expresses the authors annoyance when people name their recipes something that is not at all indicative of what you're about to eat.  I rather agreed with her and thus have named the following recipe very plainly.

In a previous post I mentioned the delicious meal I had on Bainbridge Island and how I'd made a copycat of the salad I had there.  My mother then immediately reprimanded me for not sharing the recipe I made up.  I actually never follow a recipe exactly so here's approximately what I do when I make this.

Ingredients:
Cooked quinoa*
1 medium sweet potato
2-3 carrots
2 red or new potatoes
EVOO
1/2 C balsamic vinegar

Reduce balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan - make sure to do this first since it takes an hour or so. To speed this process you can add a touch of sugar or agave, but this is only to speed the reduction...without the sugar the reduction with still be plenty sweet.
Cook quinoa and set aside - about 1/2 cup uncooked should be good for 2-3 servings.  Peel sweet potato and carrots.  Cut root vegetables to bite size pieces and toss lightly with salt and EVOO. You can add pepper too, but I don't like pepper so I don't.  Roast in oven for at 375 for 20 minutes or until tender.  Top quinoa with vegetables and drizzle with reduced balsamic (caution: a little goes a long way with the balsamic dressing).

In case you're worried what your meat loving husband may think of this recipe - Jeff really likes this salad and we eat it as a main dish.
 
*I get my quinoa at Costco - I love Costco!  I measure it into a fine mesh strainer then put the strainer in a large bowl of water to soak (this prevents a mess to soak in the strainer).  I soak it for about 5-10 minutes depending on my hunger level then do a final rinse and cook according to the package directions.

1 comment:

  1. I will have to give this recipe a try, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete