9.26.2010

The Jungle



Unlike the house, our yard wasn't so cute to begin with.  We're pretty sure no one had done anything to it for 3 or more years.  Being from Nevada where nothing (except for rocks) grows unless you spend 1/2 your life caring for it, I was terrified by our yard which was overgrown, had huge banana slugs, and seemed to grow 1/4 inch every 5 minutes right before my very eyes!




Back yard left side before

After about 6 months of staring at our yard in bewilderment, I realized what I needed to overcome my fear of my yard was a plan!  So I sketched the yard and plotted how to conquer it.  I felt pretty good about the plan until I attempted to execute it and realized I simply didn't have the time for such a huge project.  







Back yard left side during process


Luckily for us, my mom and dad love us...a lot!  They spent their annual trip to Seattle pulling out weeds, brambles, dead plants, pruning, raking, and planting.  By the end of a very long 4 days we had a yard that looked inviting and only needed regular maintenance instead of an extensive face lift.  We each had many battle wounds from the thorns, but also had the sweet rewards of a job well done!  Lots of love and thanks to my parental units for all their help and for being great examples of selflessness and hard work!  We love you guys!  



Garden area before

Garden area after clean up but before planting

Just some of the leftovers that didn't fit in the huge compost bin

Little rock terrace we found once all of the weeds were gone!








 

  





2 comments:

  1. Yes, you do have great parents and I'm sure that you will enjoy your yard even more now. Right now I could use a visit from your parents. I've been so busy with canning and work that my weeds have definitely overgrown everything. I've actually haven't seen it quite this bad in a long time. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's impressive. I know how you feel. I feel like we spent the first couple of years just improving our house and now we can enjoy it a little bit. Your parents are saints:) It looks so good! I hope I can see it in person someday!

    ReplyDelete